Knowing how to integrate CAD data into GIS workflows will help you streamline GIS data editing, enhance GIS maps, and perform GIS analyses. In this course, you will learn how to display CAD data with GIS layers in ArcGIS, use CAD data directly in ArcGIS geoprocessing and analysis operations, and import CAD data into a geodatabase. Techniques and best practices for data conversion to support integrated CAD/GIS workflows are covered.
Who Should Attend
• GIS specialists, analysts, data managers, and other experienced ArcGIS users who need to work with CAD data in ArcGIS.
• Experienced CAD users who have basic ArcGIS skills.
After completion of this course you will be able to:
• Explore CAD data organization, properties, and attributes using the Catalog window in ArcMap.
• Display and symbolize CAD data in ArcMap.
• Perform an analysis that uses both geodatabase feature classes and CAD feature classes.
• Georeference a CAD feature class so that it displays correctly with GIS data.
• Convert a CAD feature class to a geodatabase feature class.
• Prepare geodatabase feature classes for export to a complex CAD drawing file that contains attributed CAD entities.
• Create a model to automate CAD data conversion and append the output to an existing geodatabase feature class.
Completion of ArcGIS Desktop II: Tools and Functionality or Learning ArcGIS Desktop or equivalent knowledge is required.
Managing CAD data in ArcGIS
• Accessing CAD data
• Examining CAD feature classes, attributes, and spatial reference information
• Working with drawing layers
Using CAD data in ArcGIS
• Adjusting CAD feature symbology
• Displaying feature subsets by applying a definition query
• Geoprocessing with CAD data
Transforming CAD files
• Understanding CAD coordinate systems
• Georeferencing CAD data using to real-world coordinates
• Applying projection and world files to CAD data
Converting CAD data to geodatabase feature classes
• Understanding when to convert CAD data to GIS
• Preparing CAD data for conversion
• Choosing the best conversion tool for your CAD data
Creating CAD drawings from GIS data
• Preparing GIS data for conversion
• Using seed files and key-named fields
• Producing CAD-defined feature classes
CAD workflows and best practices
• Streamlining the conversion process using a geoprocessing model
• Troubleshooting and repairing common conversion issues