In this course, you will use ArcGIS Spatial Analyst to model a variety of real-world scenarios to create new data, derive new information from existing data, analyze complex terrain attributes, and solve problems. You will work with elevation rasters and other data to model surfaces, evaluate results, and create a variety of maps for more informed decision-making.
Who Should Attend
GIS analysts and other experienced ArcGIS users who need to perform raster-based spatial modeling and analyses such as
• Finding suitable locations for new development.
• Siting cellular and radio towers and map potential relay tower sites.
• Finding low-visibility locations for storage tank farms.
• Finding optimal locations based on site slope and aspect requirements.
• Determining lines of fire for military fortifications.
• Predicting fire risk.
After completion of this course you will be able to:
• Use different interpolation methods to create surfaces from sample data and evaluate the results.
• Calculate density, slope, and aspect.
• Create hillshade, shaded relief, and contour maps.
• Calculate visibility surfaces and viewsheds.
Completion of ArcGIS Desktop II: Tools and Functionality or Learning ArcGIS Desktop or equivalent knowledge is required. For those new to raster data, completing Working with Rasters in ArcGIS Desktop is recommended.
Getting started with surface analysis
• Representing surfaces
• Sources of topographic data
• Interpolation overview
• Working with samples
• Interpolating surfaces using the IDW, natural neighbors, spline, and Topo to Raster methods
• Testing surface accuracy
• Using barriers
• Evaluating results
• Preparing for surface analysis
Introduction to kriging
• Basic concepts
• Kriging semivariogram models
• Estimating point and line feature density
• Calculating simple density
• Calculating density using the kernel method
• Using attributes to calculate density
• Creating contours and hillshades
• Calculating slope, aspect, and curvature
• Calculating solar radiation
• Analyzing visibility
• Creating viewsheds